3 cups water 1cup star pasta
1 cup canned or freshly cooked kidney beans, drained
1 cup frozen peas and carrots mix, thawed
¼ cup roma tomatoes, diced 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
▪ In a stockpot, bring water to a boil.
▪ Add pasta, cook for 10 minutes.
▪ Drain the hot water; rinse with cold water.
▪ In a medium bowl, combine the cooked pasta, kidney beans, peas and carrots, tomatores, cilantro and bouillon.
▪ Stir to combine. Serve and enjoy.
Cooking Tips: Do not add oil to the cooking water. It does not prebent the pasta from sticking and ends up wasted when the water is bumped. Try rinsing cooked pasta with cold water, which will stop the cooking process. This will ensure that your pasta does not overcook. As a variation: add diced, low-sodium ham or turkey.
When selecting lunch for your child, consider the following:
▪ Nutritional Value – Is this lunch nutritious?
▪ Size – Is it easy to eat (i.e., cut into small pieces)?
▪ Texture and Shape – Does it look appealing to eat?
▪ Safety – Is it safe to eat if not placed in a refrigerator immediately?
▪ Taste – Is it delicious?
A lunch with beans is healthy because beans are high in protein, iron, vitamins and carbohydrates, which provide long-lasting energy for kids – and adults too! Other healthy sources of protein include lean meat, poultry, fish, cheese, eggs, yogurt, nuts and milk.
Per Serving (1 cup): 255 calories, .5g fat (.1g saturated, .1g monounsaturated, .2g polyunsaturated), 0mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate, 4g dietary fiber, 11 g protein. Makes 4 servings.
From “Yummy For Your Tummy: Fun, Easy & Healthy Recipes” by Chef LaLa, a cookbook pamphlet published in English and Spanish by First 5 California. Copyright © 2008. First 5 California, also known as the California Children and Families Commission, reserves all applicable rights. Reprinted with permission.
CBI groups can request copies of “Yummy For Your Tummy / Yummy Para Tu Pancita” for distribution to their group members. Contact Julie Beyers at 916-876-6529 for more information.