Creating Mirror Image Parts
Pro/ENGINEER allows for the immediate creation of mirror image parts. These parts are often found in automotive, aerospace, and consumer products industries where products are either exact mirror images or similar with detail differences. One example could be exhaust manifolds for multiple-bank engines such as V-8’s. (Figure 1)
This quick tip will help you create mirror image parts in Pro/ENGINEER:
- With one part created, simply use the Mirror Part command
- From the menus, select File/Mirror Part (Figures 2 & 3)
- This brings up the Mirror Part menu (Figure 4):
- Mirror Type – Gives you the option Mirror Geometry Only, resulting in a single part feature that is the mirror image of the initial complete part, or you can select to Include all Feature Data, which creates a new mirror image part with all dimensions and features accessible for modification or suppression
- Dependency Control – When Mirror Geometry Only is selected, you have the additional option of choosing whether the mirror part is dependent on the original model (dimensional changes in the original are reflected in the mirror part). Deselecting this option creates a one-time generation of the mirror image part with no future updates.
- Enter the new model name, and the new model is created. From there any additional features can be added to the mirror image. Simple but effective. (Figure 5)
Was this tip helpful? Let us know.
[PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION]