Pro/HARNESS provides tools such as bends, twists and breaks which help to manipulate a flattened cabling harness. This example will demonstrate how to use these tools to modify the flattened harness of the four connector assembly in Figure 1.
Figure 2 shows flat_harness.asm, in which the right branch will be bent and twisted, and the middle branch will be shortened.
A bend is a feature which turns a cable segment within the plane in which the harness is flattened.
- To bend the right branch, select Flatten > Bend > Insert and select the segment shown in Figure 3.
- Enter 3 inches for the bend radius and -45 (to bend clockwise) for the bend angle. Since the segment is initially horizontal, -45 degrees will make the segment bend as shown below in Figure 4.
A twist is a feature which rotates a cable segment out of the plane in which the harness is flattened. A twist can only be inserted on a segment which already contains a bend.
- Select Flatten > Twist > Add and pick the bend which you just created
- Enter a twist angle of 90 degrees. The result is shown in Figure 5. Notice how the right segment has been twisted out of the plane.
Breaks can be used to shorten a straight cable segment.
- Select Flatten > Break > Insert and select the segment shown in Figure 6
- Enter a length of 10 inches for the break. This will remove 10 inches from the segment and replace it with an X shaped break symbol. A new dimension will be created to represent the distance from the beginning of the segment to the location of the break.
Figure 7 shows the completed flattened harness with Thick Cables turned on in the Environment menu.
This is a sample of the wealth of material you can find in PTC's technical Knowledge Base. You can gain complete access to the Knowledge Base by becoming an active maintenance customer. Learn more.
Was this Knowledge Base Exclusive tip helpful? Let us know.