Picante Chicken & Rice
· 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
· ¾ Cup Chopped Onion
· 2 Garlic Cloves
· 14 ½ 0z (1 can) Chicken Broth
· 1 Cup Picante Sauce
· 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
· Salt and Pepper to taste
· 1 Cup Rice, Uncooked
· 2 oz Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add broth and picante sauce; bring to a boil. Meanwhile, season chicken with salt and pepper. Stir rice into skillet. Arrange chicken over the rice. Cover tightly; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 5 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and chicken is no longer pink in center. Top with cheese before serving.
· I like to use fresh salsa (from the produce center of the grocery store) instead of a jar of picante sauce.
· I also like to cut the chicken up into bite size pieces before cooking. I don’t have to worry about it not being thoroughly cooked this way, plus it’s easier for the kids to eat it this way.
· I usually use more cheese than this. Colby Jack cheese works well with it too.