Eaton has revised its Lubricant Suppliers List (TCMT0020 EN-US), which lists suppliers of approved fluids that meet the PS-386 transmission lubricant specification (which replaced PS-164rev7) and the PS-278 wet dual clutch Procision transmission lubricant specification, the latter being the only approved lubricants that are acceptable for use in the Procision transmission.
As referenced above, Eaton transmission lubricant specification PS-164rev7 has been replaced by PS-386. All applications that required the use of PS-164rev7 approved lubricants now require the use of PS-386 approved lubricants.
Eaton makes a note that PS-278 approved lubricants are the only acceptable lubricant for the Procision transmission. NOTICE:Do not use PS-278 oil in other Eaton transmission models or damage may occur.
Eaton makes a special note:To avoid damage to vehicle, never mix engine oils and synthetic transmission oils in the same transmission. When switching between types of lubricants, all areas of each affected component must be thoroughly drained. Do not introduce additives and friction modifiers. Do not mix lubricants of different grades. Do not mix mineral and synthetic lubricants. Do not mix heavy-duty, multi-purpose lithium based (#2 grade) grease with Sodium based grease.
The revised approved lubricants lists (listing all approved suppliers and product names) are broken down geographically to include the following regions:
- Eaton PS-386 Approved Heavy-duty Transmission Lubricant Suppliers-United States,Canada, Mexico, Australia & New Zealand, India, China and Europe
- Eaton PS-278 Approved Procision Transmission Lubricant Suppliers United States,Canada, Mexico, Australia & New Zealand, India, China and Europe
- Eaton Recommended Axle Lubricant Suppliers - United States,Canada, Mexico, Australia & New Zealand, India, China and Europe
Eaton makes a note that All major OEMs have transitioned to the PS-386 approved lubricants.
Eaton markets their own branded lubricants which include the following:
PS-386 Synthetic Transmission Lubricant
PS-278 Synthetic Transmission Lubricant for Procision transmissions
Eaton 75W-90 Synthetic Gear/Axle Lubricant
Eaton 80W-140 Synthetic Gear/Axle Lubricant
Eaton FE 75W-90 Fuel Efficient Synthetic Gear/Axle Lubricant
Eaton EP-2 Grease - Multipurpose NLGI 2 lithium-complex
Revisions made to this Lubricant Suppliers List (TCMT0020 EN-US) this year include the following:
- This May 2018 revision changed Federated Co-operatives Ltd. axle lubricant from a Category 2 to a Category 3.
- In April 2018 Eaton added Pennzoil-Quaker State Company DBA SOPUS Products (Shell) to the Approved PS-278 list for US & Canada; updated for US on Recommended list.
- In March 2018 Eaton added Federated Co-Operatives Ltd to the Approved list for US & Canada; updated for US on Recommended list. Updated Petro-Canada Lubricants for all regions. Updated Supplier Shell to include Canada Region Availability
- In February 2018 Eaton updated Supplier Chevron Products to include all Region Availability
- In January 2018 Eaton added Schaeffer Manufacturing Company to Eaton Approved Heavy-Duty Transmission Lubricant Suppliers. Updated D-A SynSure™ SAE 75W-90 and Valvoline HD Synthetic Gear Oil EP 75W-90 to Category 3 in Eaton Recommended Axle Lubricant Suppliers
To view the latest approved lubricant suppliers lists, click here.