Dear Texas Pastors:
As you know, there is an opportunity to vote right around the corner. This is an extremely important election and our churches MUST place a high value on ALL eligible members fulfilling their Biblically-mandated responsibilities as citizens at every opportunity. To that end, we want to make sure that everyone is preparing for the November election.
Please note the following important dates/deadlines:
• Last Day to Register to Vote
• October 4, 2010
• First Day of Early Voting
• October 18, 2010
• Last Day to Apply for Ballot by Mail (Received, not Postmarked)
• October 26, 2010
• Last Day of Early Voting
• October 29, 2010
• Election Day
• November 2, 2010
There are three categories of potential voters that sometimes are not ready to vote on Election Day:
1. First, those who have moved since the last election. IF YOU HAVE MOVED SINCE THE MARCH PRIMARY ELECTIONS, YOU MUST RE-REGISTER TO VOTE.
2. Second, IF YOU TURNED 18 RECENTLY (or will turn 18 before November 2) YOU NEED TO REGISTER TO VOTE AND MAKE THIS YOUR FIRST ELECTION!
3. Third, even if you are properly registered and intend to vote, waiting until Election Day is risky because, well, life happens (car trouble, sudden business travel, sick kids, etc). PLEASE MAKE PLANS TO VOTE EARLY, IDEALLY ON THE FIRST DAY OF EARLY VOTING (October 18). You may vote early at any early voting location in your county, and you only need to have a driver’s license (ie, you don’t even need your voting card). So voting early is the easiest – and the safest.
To help out those who need to register, here is a link to the Texas Secretary of State website where you can fill out the form, print it and mail it to the voter registrar in your county (ie, probably Harris or Montgomery County):
Your County Voter Registrar's address can be found at the top of the online outputted voter registration application once you have submitted your information from the fill-in-the blanks screen.
Pastors please announce that you will survey your members before early voting, during early voting and after Election Day. We have found this to be a helpful tool to build enthusiasm, awareness and maximum voter turnout – our goal is 100 percent!
Finally, if you have not yet ordered the non-partisan voter guides in quantity for your church’s needs please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP and we will assure it is filled and guides delivered!