It is necessary to perform some basic configuration steps before you can begin archiving content to the Windchill Archive Server. Typically, configuration will include the following operations:
- The definition of one or more archive devices accessible to the Windchill Archive Server. This version of the Windchill Archive supports any device that provides a file system interface. This includes most NAS (Network Addressable Storage) devices.
- The creation of one or more archive volumes. An archive volume must be associated with an archive device. The archive volume is essentially a database for storing object references and metadata for content that has been archived to the underlying archive device.
- The creation of one or more search databases. A search database is used to maintain a text-search index of content that has been archived.
- The creation of one or more users and/or groups. You will need to create a search database for each Windchill system that will be archiving data to the Windchill Archive Server.
- The setting of the Windchill Archive Server logging level and communication port numbers. These are optional operations. These operations may all be performed via the Windchill Archive Management Console. These configuration operations are described in the sections that follow.
Launching the Archive Management Console in Windows
- Log on to the Windchill Archive Server machine as the user that performed the installation
- In Windows, click the Start button
- Select Programs
- Select Windchill Archive
- Click the Windchill Archive Management Console. The login screen appears
Connecting to the Windchill Archive Server
- At the login screen, enter the user name “system”
- Enter the password you specified for the “system” account during the installation of the Windchill Archive Server
- If necessary, specify the port number for connecting to the Windchill Archive Server. This will only be necessary if you have previously configured the server to listen on the non-default port. Otherwise just accept the default port number.
- Click Connect. If successful, the Windchill Archive Management Console appears
Setting the Windchill Archive Server Parameters
The Server Parameters editor allows you to set parameters such as port numbers, logging level and administrative user ID and password. The following sections describe these settings in details.
To edit the Windchill Archive Server parameters:
- Click Set Server Parameters. The server parameter editor appears in the right-hand pane of the Management Console
- Set the desired values as described in the table below
The Windchill Archive Server acts as
a Remote Method Invocation (RMI)
server. By default the RMI server
“listens” for remote method calls on
port number 1099. If another
application is already using port
number 1099, you may need to change
this setting. You may set the RMI port number to any unused network port.
The Windchill Archive Server
requires the use of a network port for
establishing connections to its
embedded database. By default,
database connections are established
on port number 23457. If another
application is already using port
number 23457, you may need to
change this setting. You may set the
database port number to any unused
This setting controls the level of
verbosity of the Windchill Archive
Server log file. The valid setting, in
order of most to least verbose, are:
ALL, DEBUG, INFO, WARNING,
SEVERE. The default setting is INFO.
For troubleshooting, you may wish to
increase the logging level to DEBUG
This is the user ID that the Windchill
Archive Server uses to establish a
connection with its embedded
database. By default, this is set to
“system” and generally need not be
This is the password for the user ID
- Click Save
- If you have changed the Database Port number you must perform the following additional steps:
On Windows systems:
i. Edit the "services" file located in %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\
etc. and update the "pctdbs" entry with the new database port number.
ii. Stop and restart the "TRIP Daemon" and TRIPNet Daemon" services.
- Restart the Windchill Archive Server
Was this tip helpful? Let us know.