By Chris Woodyard,
The Ford F-150 has been the best-selling pickup in the U.S. for 33 years. CAPTIONBy Ford, WieckEvery year, the Texas Auto Writers Association has a big shindig where they test anything that could be considered a truck and decide which are the best ones. Appropriately, it's called the Texas Truck Rodeo, but no, they don't lasso calves from the truck beds.
Last year, the writers divided up the winners fairly evenly between the different automakers. This year, it looks like Ford did especially well. Chevrolet or Ram? Not a single first-place finish, with exception of the Dodge Durango, a near-Ram.
Of course, none of the Detroit Big 3 had a totally new truck this year and Ford did have something new: the multiple powertrain choices on the F-Series. We suspect Ford cared a lot about getting rave reviews on its EcoBoost turbocharged engines, and the auto writer came through. They named the EcoBoost the "Outstanding Feature of Texas."
Here is the complete list of winners:
- Truck of Texas: 2012 Ford F-150
- SUV of Texas: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Crossover Utility Vehicle (CUV) of Texas: 2012 Ford Edge
- Truck Line of Texas: Ford
- Outstanding Feature of Texas: Ford's EcoBoost engine technology.
- Full-Sized Pickup Truck: First Place, 2012 Ford F-150; Second Place, 2012 Ram 1500; Third Place, Chevrolet 1500 & Toyota Tundra (tie)
- Mid-Sized Pickup Truck: First Place, 2012 Nissan Frontier; Second Place, 2012 Toyota Tacoma.
- Luxury Pickup Truck: First Place, 2012 Ford F-150 Platinum EcoBoost; Second Place, 2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie Longhorn; Third Place, 2012 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD Crew Cab.
- Heavy Duty Pickup Truck: First Place, 2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch; Second Place, 2012 Ram 2500 Power Wagon; Third Place, 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD.
- Full-Sized SUV: First Place, 2012 Dodge Durango; Second Place, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Third Place, 2012 Chevrolet Tahoe. Full-Sized Luxury
- SUV: First Place, Jeep Grand Cherokee; Second Place, Range Rover Evoque; Third place, Mercedes Benz ML350
- Mid-Sized SUV: First Place, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; Second Place, 2012 Toyota 4Runner; Third Place, 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.
- Mid-Sized Luxury SUV: First Place, Toyota
- 4Runner Compact SUV-First Place: 2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X; Second Place, 2012 Jeep Compass; Third Place, 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan.
- Full-Sized CUV-First Place: 2012 Buick Enclave;
- Mid-Sized CUV-First Place: 2012 Ford Edge Limited with EcoBoost engine; Second Place 2012 Dodge Journey; Third Place, 2012
- Chevrolet Equinox Compact CUV: First Place, 2012 Toyota Rav4; Second Place, Kia Soul
- Full-Sized Luxury CUV: First Place, 2012 GMC Acadia Denali; Second Place, 2012 Mercedes-Benz R350 Blue TEC.
- Mid-Sized Luxury CUV: 2012 Cadillac SRX Premium.