8 ounces (228g) mushrooms, sliced (Saladmaster food processor and #4 cone)
½ cup (120mL) chopped onion (#3 cone, then cross-cut with a knife)
3 cups (720mL) vegetable broth, divided use
2 tablespoons (30mL) whole wheat flour
¾ teaspoon (3.75mL) curry powder
1 ¾ cups (420mL) pumpkin puree (solid pack pumpkin)
1 ½ cups (360mL) fat-free half and half (or fat-free evaporated milk)
1 tablespoon (15mL) agave nectar
½ teaspoon (2.5mL) salt
¼ teaspoon (1.25mL) ground white pepper
½ teaspoon (2.5mL) toasted cumin seeds
- Pre-heat 5-Qart Raster over medium heat. Sauté mushrooms and onion until tender, 5 minutes.
- Pour 1 cup (240mL) vegetable broth into a small mixing bowl. Blend in whole wheat flour and curry powder using wire whisk. Blend broth mixture into sautéed mushrooms and onions. Stir in remaining broth. Simmer 2-3 minutes to slightly thicken.
- Using whisk, blend in pumpkin, then fat-free half and half, agave nectar, salt, pepper and cumin seeds. Continue cooking until heated throughout.
Yield: servings, 1 cup (240mL) each
Nutrition information per serving: 92 calories, 17g carbohydrate, 4g protein, 1g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 458mg sodium, 3g dietary fiber
Source: Adapted recipe by Janet Potts, RD, LD
- Toasting the cumin seeds brings out more of their flavor. Heat a small skillet or 1 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add seeds and toast for 3 to 5 minutes, shaking occasionally, or until seeds become aromatic and are medium brown in color.
- One 15-ounce (428g) can of solid pack pumpkin contains 1.75 cups and may be used in this recipe.
About the author: Janet Potts has been a registered dietitian since 1984 and a Saladmaster® owner since 1995. In 1996 she was awarded the ADA’s "Recognized Young Dietitian" for the state of Oklahoma. In the year 2000, Janet was promoted to Director of Food & Nutrition Services at St. John Medical Center in Tulsa and has recently completed four years of service on the Board of Directors for the National Society for Healthcare Foodservice Management. She lives in Tulsa with her husband and two young children.