Excerpted from Bersin by Deloitte’s research Bulletin: Five Trends in Leveraging Leadership Development to Drive a Competitive Advantage
The business case for leadership development in the workplace has generally been strong. Good leadership development can offer many benefits, including increased employee engagement and retention and, of course, improved business results.
How to implement leadership development effectively, however, has been a challenge for many companies. Leadership development is not about developing one leader at a time or even one leader level at a time. Rather, it is about looking across all leader levels and creating a strategy to build leadership capabilities across that population and often across multiple geographies.
As the world recovers from one of the worst economic crises since the Great Depression, good leadership will play an even more important role in corporate achievement. Organizations of various types face leadership challenges that include:
- Global matrix organizations that need to lead across cultures
- Gaps in leader capability, particularly in transition from one management level to the next
- Integration of new technologies
- Movement from a performance appraisal culture to a performance coaching culture
- Greater use of assessments to identify leaders and reduce costly errors
- A transition toward more experiential and community-based approaches to learning
Bersin collaborated with DDI to identify five leadership development trends that address these challenges. In addition to exploring these trends, this research bulletin addresses business challenges and how they are manifested and executed in the business world, as well as specific examples of these trends in action.
The five trends are:
- Facilitates the global capabilities of leaders to lead effectively in complex, multicultural, and diverse environments
- Allows for the sustainment of a pipeline of leaders
- Extends learning and coaching via virtual connections
- Leverages a coaching culture
- Requires use of assessments to identify and grow many leader levels, as well as to predict leadership performance