Well its official…springtime is officially here, and it’s time to make sure your vehicle is prepared for that long hot Texas summer. One of the most important items for the heat of summer as well as the cold of winter is your engine’s coolant. Overheating an engine due to coolant condition, coolant level, and proper coolant mixture quality can lead to catastrophic engine failure. Stopping by any of our Community stores for a quick coolant system check will get you ready for that drive time, your vacation time, and best of all no down time.
Let’s get familiar with the essential parts of your cooling system
· Radiator This is the reservoir or holding tank for your coolant. This part must be kept clean and free debris to allow good air flow through its cooling fins, and be free of any leaks or seepage.
· Thermostat The most important component to allow proper opening and closing that will control coolant flow throughout the engine at a specific temperature.
· Water pump This component keeps the water circulating throughout the engine, radiator, and the heater core.
· Hoses Should be checked at every service interval for any leaks, seepage and overall condition.
· Coolant Pay close attention here to follow the manufactures strict guidelines for proper coolant change intervals and proper mixture.
· Serpentine Belt It is essential to have this item checked at every service interval for cracks and wear. A failed serpentine belt will halt the operation of your alternator. Power steering pump, and most important your water pumps ability to turn and control coolant flow.
This is just a quick overview of the essential parts of your cooling system, all being dependent on each other to perform at their maximum capacity. Let the Pro’s at Community Auto Group keep your vehicle running at its peak performance, and keep you in the winner’s circle.
I’ll be there waiting for you, see you next time for your next tip of the month!