3HTi, LLC is a full sales and service provider that focuses on helping companies maximize value from their investments in technology. This newsletter is in keeping with 3HTi’s goal of putting customers first to create products better, faster, and cheaper.
PTC and 3HTi Introduce Pro/ENGINEER Manikin Extension
Connect Products to People with Digital Human Modeling
Pro/ENGINEER® Manikin Extension
Pro/ENGINEER Manikin Extension lets you quickly insert manikins into your 3D CAD model to visualize and optimize human-product interactions.
Adopting a “human-centric” approach to design is an increasing necessity in today’s competitive market. Designers in the Aerospace & Defense, Automotive, Industrial Equipment, and Electronics & High Tech industries need to understand and optimize how their products will be manufactured, used and maintained in order to ensure that products meet customer requirements, are comfortable to use, and possess a competitive advantage. In addition, manufacturers are often required to verify that their products and workplaces conform to health, safety and workplace standards.
Pro/ENGINEER Manikin Extension provides the ideal solution because it enables you to visualize, simulate, optimize and communicate these human-product interactions earlier in the design process, helping you save time and reduce product development costs.
Digital human modeling supports a human-centric approach to design by allowing a designer to add a 3D digital human model to their 3D CAD product model. A digital human model – also called a manikin – is an advanced 3D mechanism that provides an accurate representation of human physical characteristics such as size, shape, vision, movement, strength and comfort. The manikin can be customized for a specific gender and ethnic demographic and fully manipulated in real time, thereby helping the designer better understand the relationship between a product and the people interacting with the product, such as a consumer, operator, installer, assembler or maintainer.
Pro/ENGINEER Manikin quickly indicates fields of vision
• Reduce time, budget and obsolescence associated with physical prototypes
• Ensure conformance with safety, health, ergonomics and workplace standards and guidelines
• Optimize products for your identified target audience within the overall global market
• Communicate and share complex human-product interaction issues using a strong, clearly communicable, visual simulation solution
• Track the impact of design changes against the physical characteristics of end users, thereby ensuring a human-centric approach to design
• Reach envelopes help identify the area inside the manikin’s reach zones ––Available for each arm and variable trunk positions
• Visualize line of sight, including the impact of head movement and eye movement
• The Reach function allows you to instruct the manikin to perform a reach and therefore validate design considerations such as comfort, clearance and accommodation
Pro/ENGINEER Manikin quickly indicates reach.
Capabilities & Specifications
Quickly Insert and Customize Digital Human Models
• Using the dedicated manikin toolbar, you can • quickly insert a manikin into Pro/ENGINEER and customize it based on gender, nationality, size and other associated variables
• Anthropometry support for a wide range of global populations helps you assess and maximize your product’s potential in the global marketplace
• Digital Human Model structure conforms to the H-ANIM standard: ISO/IEC 19774
• Manikin libraries are included to help you capture and reuse manikin data
––Quickly access a comprehensive set of libraries containing standard postures (standing, sitting, kneeling, etc.) and hand positions (fist, pointing, pinching and more)
–– Create and share your own customized manikin models, accessories and postures
Easily Manipulate Manikins
Manipulating the manikin is easy with tools such as:
• Direct Kinematics capabilities help you fine-tune individual manikin segment positions
• Inverse Kinematics tools let you quickly manipulate and posture groups of manikin segments
• 2D Drag, Segment Drag, Rotate and Reset Posture tools let you explore complex manikin posture scenarios
• Seamless Pro/ENGINEER integration lets you leverage existing Pro/ENGINEER tools with the manikin, including Clash, Collision, Distance, Clearance, Mass and more
Visualize Reach and Vision
• Generating vision windows enables you to “see” what the manikin can see
• Vision cones help designers identify what is inside the various human fields of view:
–– Peripheral (global vision)
–– Binocular (the visual field that can be seen by both eyes)
–– Optimal (operational zones)
–– Accurate (reading zone)
For more information on the Pro/ENGINEER Manikin Extension or the standards-based manikin analysis capabilities available in the Pro/ENGINEER Manikin Analysis Extension, please contact 3hti at firstname.lastname@example.org
[PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION]