Whether you love your job or it’s a necessary stepping stone on the way to bigger and better things, there are always ways to get ahead at the office. These simple suggestions will help you make the right impression and increase your odds of achieving your dream career.
CareerBuilder.com’s Rachel Zupek has some great recommendations for moving up in the ranks:
- Seek out a mentor. Find a successful person who has mastered the career you want and take any advice they can offer. In addition to sharing tricks of the trade, a mentor can help introduce you to other influential people within your company or industry.
- Develop addition skills. Figure out what you don’t know and expand your knowledge in that area. Take a class or consider an advanced degree to help acquire new tools and techniques.
- Ask for feedback. An evaluation from your supervisor is a good starting point for assessing your personal career goals.
Lindsey Pollak, author of Getting from College to Career, also has some advice:
- Challenge yourself. Pollak explains, “You might be working for a terrible boss who is challenging you to improve your ability to deal with difficult people, or you might be working a fascinating job that challenges you creatively. The good and bad experiences can all help you grow.”
- Network constantly. Relationships are some of the biggest factors in career success, so always build professional connections at every job you have.
Finding your dream job may take some time, but making simple changes to the way you approach your current work can help you create a bright future.