1936: ESTABLISHMENT OF THE "COVER" PLANT IN ALLACH~
BMW AG and BMW Flugmotorenbau GmbH established the aircraft engine manufacturer Flugmotorenfabrik Allach GmbH. But only one year later, they transferred their shares to Luftfahrtk on for GmbH Berlin, which provided hidden state subsidies for the BMW Allach plant near Munich. The plant underwent rapid expansion for the volume production of aircraft engines up until 1941.
1970: THE HERBERT QUANDT FOUNDATION~
BMW AG established the Herbert Quandt Foundation to mark the 60th birthday of its principal shareholder. It developed into an internationally renowned supporter of the transatlantic exchanges of ideas and experiences and after the end of the Cold War, also became a key platform for East-West relations and for Pan-European rapproachment.